By Jenna Perlman, Staff Writer
@jenna_perlwoman

A lesbian couple is suing Midwest Sperm Bank for giving them the wrong sperm./PHOTO VIA Flickr user Jose Antonio Morcillo

A lesbian couple in Ohio is suing a sperm bank. So they went to the Midwest Sperm Bank, scrolled through binders of suitable male genetics, and picked one – a white male donor, #380.

Nine months later, the couple gave birth to a chil, and out popped a dark-skinned baby. And these mothers thought, “Whoa, this is not what we ‘ordered.’” Whether to call this baby “ordered” or not goes into thorny eugenics discussions, but I digress.

Turns out, the sperm company sent the couple the wrong sperm, giving them instead #330, the sperm of an African-American male.

The couple proceeded to file a lawsuit against this sperm bank for “wrongful birth and breach of warranty,” and also claimed emotional and economic trauma. You might be thinking, “This couple is being so incredibly racist for suing for receiving the sperm for a black baby.”

This lesbian couple from Ohio is not racist. They are human.

They’re expressing natural human responses. They’re frustrated that their mixed-raced child is being bullied in their majority white community. They’re angry that their child is being “punished” for something that both she couldn’t control and that her parents didn’t plan for her. They’re tired of suffering and seeing their child suffer and want compensation. Suing for their faulty sperm bank practices isn’t racism — it’s just being a good parent.

To understand the lack of racism in this situation, an analogy could be made to buying a car. You order a red Passat, wait for it for a few months only to receive an orange Mini Cooper. You would be confused, right? You may even be pissed because you spent both money and time waiting for something only to receive something else. This is exactly what this progressive family is going through.

I hope and believe that this same-sex couple and their child will receive both appropriate and honest compensation for the emotional trauma. The Midwest Sperm Bank made a huge mistake, and it’s time for them to start the healing process.