By Shivani Patel, Staff Writer
@shizupates

The Coffee app combines the ease of Tinder with the professionalism of LinkedIn./PHOTO VIA Flickr user Sean MacEntee

Like the idea of Tinder but find it incredibly creepy? Need a job but don’t really understand how to use LinkedIn?

Two Boston University graduates, Nathan Bernard and Sawyer Xie, came up with a way to solve these very problems with the app Coffee.

Coffee’s interface is very user-friendly and is modeled after Tinder. The app allows the user to connect through Facebook or LinkedIn, gathering information from his or her profile. The user then gets to choose “tags” that describe their interests and skills, and can also customize tags to tailor the kinds of companies he or she receives. Lastly, he or she gets to add a description that summarizes them as a candidate.

All the user has to do is swipe left (for another option) or swipe right (for a connection). Once a connection is made, both parties get to chat and hopefully catch up for coffee in order to secure an internship or job – or at least score an interview.

According to BostInno, the app has gained over a thousand users. Since the creators are from Boston and are knowledgeable in the area, the app has had quite a bit of success in the area.

The app launched July 8 to the Apple app store. The app has already found an investor and is looking to expand.

I find this idea to be ingenious. LinkedIn feels very dated and old fashioned in some ways, with a much older audience, while Coffee allows younger people to get in the job-hunting game while keeping things relaxed.

As students of Boston University, it would be best to take advantage of this app considering the success it has had in the Boston area. While this app may not be traditional when it comes to finding an internship or job hunt, it certainly can’t hurt the search. You might surprise yourself with the opportunities you find.