By Shivani Patel, Staff Writer
@shizupates

Harry Potter star Emma Watson stands up for women's rights as Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women./PHOTO VIA Flickr user David Shankbone

“Harry Potter” star Emma Watson stands up for women’s rights as a Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women./PHOTO VIA Flickr user David Shankbone

Feminism has become an almost unapproachable topic. People are afraid of discussing the word and topic because of the backlash that seems to come with it. It’s somehow associated with negative connotations.

Twenty-four-year-old Emma Watson, best known as Hermione from the “Harry Potter” movies (and basically a fantastic person), went up in front of the United Nations last weekend to speak about a new campaign, HeForShe.

HeForShe, a movement supported by U.N. Women, is designed to get men more aware of and involved in the fight for women’s rights – or what really should be referred to as human rights.

Watson, as a Goodwill Ambassador for U.N. Women, spoke to her audience candidly about the issues women face today. She also clearly picked up on the wariness and hate surrounding feminism.

“The more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating,” said Watson, in her speech. “For the record, feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.”

Personally, I love that Emma Watson is the ambassador because she’s such a classy human being who seems so genuine. She makes mistakes, and recovers flawlessly.

The issue of women’s rights is a topic that needs to be embraced by both men and women if we want to move forward. Though the issue should have been solved long ago, the fact of the matter is it isn’t, and that needs to be changed immediately.

Already, Emma Watson’s speech has spawned backlash from the masses. An anonymous user on 4chan threatened the actress with the leaking of her nude photos, something that has recently happened to celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Lawrence.

It is incredible that such a high-profile star like Watson put herself on the line for something she believes in, despite threats like these.

We can and should do our part and support women’s rights and her campaign #HeForShe.