By Kyra Louie, Staff Writer
@beammeupkyra

The 2010 BP oil spill was one of the most detrimental human-made disasters to hit our environment. The Gulf of Mexico is still not recovered, nor do scientists believe it will ever be. It has become what marine scientists call a dead zone, which is when the water becomes too nutrient-filled by human pollution, and oxygen is depleted from the ecosystem, leaving the living organisms to suffocate and ultimately die.

BP said it would need at least three weeks in order to properly defend itself in the coming trial to set penalties, according to The Times – Picayune. The company already owes up to $18 billion under the Clean Water Act penalties.

Believe it or not, some people don’t think the BP Oil Spill had much effect because they might not care about the environment, or maybe they cannot find a practical or personal reason to sympathize with the dead zones and sea life in general.

I have compiled three videos this week to show you (yes, you) examples of beautiful interactions between humans and marine life. Yes, we eat fish, but the problem of dead zones stems farther than just our plates. We are the root of the problem. And for us to neglect the impact that we have on all life, including marine life, is an insult to the Earth and all its creatures.

1. Dolphins in remarkable rescue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqXkprayoPY

We hold dolphins in a positive light because they are cute, smart and like to play. What we don’t understand is that there have been countless cases where humans have been saved by dolphins. Whether they saved us from drowning, or saved us from predators, dolphins have saved people’s lives, and that should be something that’s worth celebrating.

2. Tangled Manta Ray asks for divers’ help

It works vice versa, of course. Here we see a manta ray, one of the most beautiful creatures in this world (in my opinion), struggling to get out of a fishing net. Manta rays usually tend to not seek out humans, but this one looked like it was asking for help.

3. How a leopard seal fed me penguins

This video is my favorite story by far. A leopard seal, infamous for its perceived viciousness, gave friendly gestures to a National Geographic photographer, to the point where she tried feeding him penguins. Here we see a national display of generosity and understanding in the animal kingdom.

Even though we differ in species, humans and animals can help each other. There have been, and will continue to be moments when we, as creatures of this Earth, help one another survive. Careless mistakes like the 2010 BP Oil Spill tear rifts in our relationship with other creatures. If people don’t want to stop making the world a better place for animals, then at least make it a better place so humans and animals can coexist peacefully, so more videos like these can be made and shared with the world.