By Shivani Patel, Staff Writer
@shizupates

Our generation grew up with the iconic Apple advertisements showing off their original (and probably greatest) creation: the iPod classic.

The iPod classic, for those of you who don’t know what it is – and shame on you if you don’t – was this bulky music storage device, similar to the iPhone in size and shape. First released in October of 2001, the first generation iPod boasted a black-and-white LCD screen with a 5 GB hard drive (about 1,000 songs) and the iconic click wheel, which had four buttons at the time.

From there, Apple created six generations’s worth of iPods. The last generation – the sixth – came out in 2007 under the late Steve Jobs.

The evolution of the iPod, in no particular order./ PHOTO VIA Wikimedia Commons

Earlier this month, Apple announced that it would be discontinuing the iPod classic. While this doesn’t come as much of a surprise considering the new wave of iPods and iPhones, it still marks the end of an era of memorable advertisements and the device that launched Apple to where it is today.

Back in the day, believe it or not, Apple was a company struggling to keep afloat. With Microsoft being the dominant company back then, Apple was keeping along till the release of the iPod in 2001, which changed everything.

With that and the release of the iTunes Store, Apple established its presence in the technology world as a formidable opponent. They later found themselves at the top of the industry with the popularity of their computers as well as devices.

I can still remember my dad bringing home the top-of-the-line fourth generation black iPod and I remember it being the coolest thing I had ever seen. The fact that the little device could hold music, movies, and games was mind-blowing for young me – and I’m sure it was for others in my generation, too.

Let’s all take a moment of silence to recognize the revolutionary device that was the iPod classic.