By Shivani Patel, Staff Writer
@shizupates

Got some free time? Head on over to Thought Catalog./ PHOTO BY Shivani Patel

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve surely heard of the media craze of the summer called Thought Catalog.

Thought Catalog first appeared back in February of 2010, founded by main publisher Chris Lavergne, a former Wall Street consultant. The website is owned by The Thought & Expression Co., a company based out of Brooklyn.

The beauty of the website is that it allows anyone, writer or not, to submit posts about topics in an entertaining and engaging manner. Though there are moderators to screen the articles, Thought Catalog publishes articles on an incredible variety of topics every day.

Under the website’s FAQs, Thought Catalog states that its mission is to be “an online magazine that represents the worldviews and rhetorical styles of as many people as possible.” It has certainly lived up to its mission, with articles that allow readers to try and understand multiple opinions on the same topic, even unpopular ones.

This summer, I wasted so much time reading these articles. Personally, I love the very real, very human aspect of this website. When I’m reading these posts, it feels like I’m learning more about someone. I may not know the writer, but I can try and relate to what they are saying.

I’m not alone, either. A huge part of the reader demographic are young adults – us undergraduates and those who have recently graduated – who have the time to spend reading these articles.

A major drawback to the site, however, is that some of the more popular writers pick up content from sites like Quora or Reddit and simply compile it in list format. While these lists are interesting, I’d rather read them on those websites. I’m not on the website looking for simplified versions of content posted elsewhere.

I also dislike the misguiding titles and blurbs of some articles. As I said before, I’m a fan of the human element of the website. However, more and more, writers are publishing fictional stories without mentioning so. I’ve read a few articles and questioned the credibility of the story only to find that the author’s description says “avid horror story writer.” That’s completely fine, but the authors should add a disclaimer or mention the nature of the article at the beginning.

All in all, I think that Thought Catalog is a great resource for people (not necessarily writers) to share their opinions and start a dialogue about issues with people from all around the world. The best part is that these articles can range from something as simple as a first kiss to something as complicated as the situation in Russia and Ukraine.

If you’re interested in more websites similar to Thought Catalog, check out Quote Catalog. This website is created by the same company, but features – you guessed it – quotes, instead of articles.

Happy reading!