By Katrina Uy, Blog Editor
@katreenz

Apple is switching it up by introducing a new smartwatch, in addition to two new iPhones./ PHOTO VIA Flickr user Health Gauge

Apple finally revealed two new iPhone models that are even bigger and slimmer than the iPhone 5./ PHOTO VIA Flickr user Health Gauge

After months of speculation, leaked photos and so many rumors you’d think you were back in high school, Apple officially revealed three new products releasing this fall on Tuesday afternoon.

Just like last year, Apple announced not one, but two new phones, dubbed the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The difference? This time around, there isn’t a “cheaper” phone. Like the iPhone 5, both new phones are noticeably bigger and slimmer than past models, with screens that are 4.7 and 5.5 inches long with retina HD display.

Is it really “the best iPhone made,” as Apple CEO Tim Cook said? Don’t ask me – I’m not a tech person, nor do I claim to be. However, the new models are bigger and faster, without a doubt, and they look sleeker, rounder and easy to fit in the palm of your hand, too.

Some new and improved features include an improved front and back camera, with the ability to choose from third-party filters that allow you to edit your photos as soon as you take them without leaving the Camera app. You can now use landscape mode when you’re on the home screen, and Wi-Fi also runs three times as fast as it does on the iPhone 5S. Battery life is supposedly equal to or better than the previous generation, though I’ll believe that one when I see it.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will be available to purchase on September 19. Alternatively, you can beat the crazy lines and save yourself from waking up at an ungodly hour by pre-ordering it on September 12.

Bigger? Check. Better? Check. Worth upgrading? Only you can answer that question for yourself.

With a two-year contract, starting prices for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are $199 and $299 for 16GB of internal storage. If you’re an Apple fan and yearn for larger screens and bragging rights, the choice may be an obvious one for you.

I’ll be more than happy with the new iOS update, so I’ll be sticking with my trusty 5S for now. Unlike the rest of the world, I’m content with its small size, though sometimes I already struggle with fitting it in my tiny girl pockets.

Android already has smart watches out on the market, but the trend still hasn't kicked off yet./ PHOTO VIA Flickr user Karlis Dambrans

Android already has smart watches out on the market, but the trend still hasn’t kicked off yet./ PHOTO VIA Flickr user Karlis Dambrans

On to the Apple Watch, the long-awaited wearable device that Apple revealed during the second half of the event. Like other smartwatches already available, it requires a smartphone to use (any of the iPhone 5 or 6 models will work).

For a hefty price of $349, the Apple Watch looks like a trendy, smart new accessory that you can use to reply to iMessages and texts. It also comes with a pre-installed health app that you can use to monitor your heart rate, activity levels and keep track of your calorie intake. Though it still has a touchscreen, CEO Tim Cook explained that the watch uses its digital crown, a small knob on the side, to zoom in and scroll up and down.

The watch won’t be available until early next year, and until then it’s got many people wondering about the future of smartwatches and whether anyone actually wants one. Why would you want a watch to tell you about notifications and new messages you could just check on your phone? I still don’t quite get the concept, but maybe Apple will start a new mainstream trend again, like they did with the iPad in 2010. Only time will tell.