By Katrina Uy, Staff Writer
@katreenz

Speed skating is a dangerous, yet thrilling, sport to watch, but you know what would make it even better? Green shells, item boxes and banana peels. That’s right: Mario Kart.

In a video titled, “Sochi 2014 – Speed Skating Double Dash Final,” filmmaker Michael Shanks edits a speed skating race from this winter’s Olympics by adding some of the most infuriating weapons from the Nintendo’s franchise, and the result is pretty awesome.

Speed skating is one of those sports that require a mixture of skill and chance to succeed – crashes and falls from other skaters can make or break your chances of medaling. U.S. speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno, arguably the face of short-track, won a silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics after the two South Korean skaters who were in first and second place at the time crashed. Similar instances are not uncommon.

So what better way to poke fun at the drama and high stakes of the Olympics than comparing it to Mario Kart? It’s genius. The best part is that Shanks’s video makes Mario Kart Olympics seem so real because of the risky nature of speed skating.

After all, what’s better than the bad-ass feeling of knocking out the guy in front of you with one clean hit of a red shell or lightning bolt? Anyone who’s ever played the game knows what I’m talking about. Don’t deny it.

Let out those maniacal laughs and go ahead and punch the air because you’ve landed sweet victory.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VXtqvBOlibY]