By Olivia Shur, Staff Writer
@livsure

This year’s Grammy nominees are a competitive bunch, judging from the list that includes everyone from veteran winners like Tony Bennett to up-and-coming artists like Lana Del Rey. Here are a few predictions from five of the most anticipated categories.

Record of the Year: “Radioactive,” Imagine Dragons

A band that was little known a year ago has quickly risen to the top of the charts. “Radioactive” is one of their smash hits, and with its unique pop-rock sound that is impossible not to head-bang along to, its a solid candidate for this category.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU&w=560&h=315]

Song of the Year: “Same Love,” Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

With its powerful lyrics and bittersweet melody, this song soon became an anthem for the gay rights movement. The hit single has some tough competition as it goes up against Katy Perry’s “Roar” and Lorde’s “Royals,” but it truly deserves this award out of all the other nominees.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0&w=560&h=315]

Album of the Year: Red, Taylor Swift

This one will probably cause some groans and eye-rolls, but let’s be honest: It’s Taylor Swift. She’s won Grammys in the past and received a tremendous amount of praise for this album’s diversity, all while successfully transitioning into the pop world and still holding on to her country sound. If T-swift’s album doesn’t win in this category, it’s sure to win for Best Country Album.

Best New Artist: Ed Sheeran or Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

This is a tough one. Both artists are equally talented and have made a name for themselves this year, but with completely different sounds. Sheeran wooed crowds with his gorgeous vocals and flawless guitar playing, while Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have produced both meaningful tracks and bumping club hits. Either one could take the award.

Best Pop Vocal Album: Pure Heroine, Lorde

At just 17 years old, Lorde would be one of the youngest artists to win this award. She’s skyrocketed to fame this year, wowing everyone with her incredibly mature voice. Her song “Royals” was a smash hit, and the rest of the album is equally good. She totally deserves the win.

Catch the 56th Annual Grammy Awards this Sunday, Jan. 26th at 8 p.m. on CBS.