We have a pretty diverse newsroom. We all come from different places in the country, and are equipped with different slang words that no one from outside our state, (maybe even no one from outside our hometown) will understand. We decided to collect some of them here for this week’s FreepOut.

Opinion Editor Brian Latimer, from the New York suburb of Montclair, New Jersey said commonly used terms include “skerp,” and “queeze.” “Skerp” is a verb meaning “to acquire,” and is used in the place of have a sip, come pick me up, borrow something or steal. “Queeze,” is a noun meaning “alcohol.”

Online Editor Melissa Adan, who comes from the exotic Miami, FL. says “living in Miami you learn a whole new language: Spanglish. That is the sexy language of speaking English and Spanish in the same sentences. For example, a normal English sentence: But that guy is really hot. Spanglish translation: Pero like that guy is super hot! Other examples include our famous Pitbull 305 “dale” and our need to say “ayyyy” for everything.” Check out this video to see a parody of how it is to speak in Miami.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtB29gJ6dLQ]

Sports Editor Greg Davis, who hails from Long Island said the only colloquial slang he knows of is, “My dad just bought me a Mercedes,” to which he quickly added that he never had the chance to use the phrase. He then started crying.

Associate Sports Editor Sarah Kirkpatrick, of Mukilteo, Wash., says “The mountains are out,” is the way residents describe a clear day in the mountainous town.

Photo Editor Michelle Jay, from Chicago, Ill., said that the term “pop,” is used to describe what the rest of us know as soda.

Campus Associate Margaret Waterman, says that everyone in her hometown of Concord, Mass. uses the term DWAI to tell people to relax. It is an abbreviation of “don’t worry about it,” and was popularized by a local high school cross country runner before some students made shirts featuring the saying. The runner graduated in 2008, but the phrase lives on.

And finally, some colloquialisms brought to you from Los Angeles, Calif. by yours truly (Hilary Ribons). There’s the copious usage of the term “dude,” which refers to both men and women, and is occasionally used as an expression of disbelief, as in, “Dude! That sucks,” or simply “Duuuude.” Also, the term “kickback,” which refers to a chill, non-party that involves alcohol and sitting around with 10 or less friends in someone’s dingy living room.