Winter in Boston can actually be really fun. PHOTO COURTESY FLICKR USER MKFEENY

It’s finally December, and while that’s a friendly remember that finals are approaching, it’s also time to open up that advent calendar. With so much to do and that last day of exams cutting so close to Christmas, it’s important to remember ‘tis the season to be jolly. Whether you have some time off work or a study break to spare, here are some ways to feel festive in Boston:

1. Find a spot under a Christmas tree.

The only thing that makes the sun setting by 5 p.m. more bearable is the glowy goodness of Christmas lights. While there are hundreds of trees that add sparkle to the city, the biggest trees at the Boston Common and Faneuil Hall Marketplace are treats you do not want to miss. Blink! at Faneuil Hall, an extravagant light and sound experience, transforms the marketplace with hundreds of thousands of LED lights synchronized to holiday music.

2. Ice skate away at the Boston Common.

Grab your friends and visit the ice rink at the Boston Common Frog Pond, the best place to make the most of the crisp winter weather. Tip: go on a Tuesday night with your college ID and receive a reduced price. More information on rates and hours can be found here.

3. Visit a holiday market.

Boston’s Winter Holiday Market at City Hall Plaza brings festivity and cheer and 85 European-style chalets for both local and international vendors. Find gifts, clothing, food and entertainment as well as an outdoor skating rink and Christmas tree maze.

4. Stroll through Stone Zoo.

ZooLights at Stone Zoo attracts visitors with its twinkling trees and glowy paths. Visit black bears, bald eagles, Canada lynx, arctic foxes and reindeer at this dazzling exhibit. Adult tickets are $10 or $9 if you go in a group of 10 or more.  

5. Too cold? Catch a show.

Boston Holiday Pops, a series of concerts directed by Keith Lockhart at the world-famous Symphony Hall, presents performances filled with classic holiday favorites, sing-along tunes and a visit from Santa Claus. Also worth a watch are “ELF the Musical” and “The Nutcracker.”

6. Don’t want to leave campus? Don’t fret.

There are plenty of holiday events at BU to keep you in the spirit. Celebrate the hard work of your peers at the Treblemakers Final Winter Concert Friday at 7 p.m. Ever wanted to see a winter wonderland? Book your tickets for “Disney On Ice presents Dream Big” at BU’s very own Agganis Arena from Dec. 22 – Jan. 1.