Norman Bates is the protagonist of the 1960 Hitchcock film “Psycho.” PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

While I understand the hesitation some people have with regard to watching horror movies, these people are, unfortunately, missing out on an extensive selection of fantastic films. The genre is so much more than just creepy slashers with jump scares; it is rife with genuinely brilliant works of cinema. So, in honor of Halloween, here are six horror movies for people who do not like horror movies:

1. “The Shining”

This is one of the few movies that I can watch multiple times and never experience it the same way twice. It transcends the horror genre, perfecting the art of suspense through dialogue, characters and music. Aside from being incredibly quotable, I see “The Shining,” before anything else, as too good of a movie to simply qualify as “horror.”

2. “The Babadook”

On the surface, “The Babadook” seems like a half-baked, stereotypical ghost movie. I was expecting mediocrity, but wound up with excellence. The film’s dark tone and creepy imagery contribute to the horror aspects, but the movie is so much more enriching with the awareness that the film is filled with symbolism for depression and anxiety. It may give a few scares, but it also spreads a powerful message.

3. “Psycho”

Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 masterpiece “Psycho” can be found on many greatest films of all time lists — and trust me, it is not overhyped. In a way, the film being black and white diminishes some of its scares, but what makes this movie so chilling is the story’s protagonist, the sadistic Norman Bates. It is hard for anyone not to be engrossed by his enigmatic intrigue. Above all, Norman’s final monologue is unforgettable.

4. “The Sixth Sense”

“The Sixth Sense” features a twist ending so mind-blowing that immediately warrants a second viewing. Despite eerie undertones throughout, “The Sixth Sense” will result in more intense thought than nightmares. Though M. Night Shyamalan’s reputation may not be as respectable as it once was, do not let that discourage you from experiencing arguably his greatest movie.

5. “Scream”

At times, it is hard to forget that “Scream” is not a comedy; it might as well be with its humorous tone and constant jokes of self-awareness. Horror legend Wes Craven created a film that escalate the slasher genre to whole new level. Through all of the gory deaths and chilling chase scenes, “Scream” never forgets to provide laughs, balancing horror and humor perfectly.