Amazon bought Body Labs, which makes a 3-D model of every customer’s body. PHOTO BY VIGUNTHAAN THARMARAJAH/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

We can all agree that the past long weekend was a much deserved break from the monotony of classes. While most of my friends went back home for the extended weekend, being an international student, I didn’t have the liberty to make the 30-hour trip down to Singapore. I did, however, make the trip down to Newbury Street for some shopping, but returned to my apartment empty-handed. Now, I’m a picky shopper, but being able to find anything that was both affordable and available in my size seemed to be a Herculean task. The experience made me realize how much I hate shopping for clothes in stores. I would much rather pick out my clothes online, but there’s a trade off when you have your clothes delivered. I’ve gotten my sizes wrong several times when ordering online. It seems, however, that Amazon is trying to address this very issue with its buyout of the startup Body Labs, which uses custom software to project a 3-D model of your body.

Although Amazon hasn’t explicitly mentioned its intentions for Body Labs, it’s safe to assume that their future plans will have to do with the fashion part of their company. Given that the newly acquired start-up claims to extrapolate an accurate 3-D image of anyone’s body, it would be wonderful if their services were applied towards creating a virtual changing room. Seeing the explosion of technology in the financial sector and in the food industry, it makes sense that this innovation is extended to the fashion world as well. After all, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has always maintained that food and fashion will bolster the company’s vision of expansion. Given that the company recently bought out Whole Foods and has set in motion its takeover of the online grocery market, it makes sense that Amazon is now making plans to revolutionize fashion for its consumers.

I don’t know about you, but with the holidays coming up and people’s perpetually increasing shopping lists, I’m not looking forward to setting foot in any stores or malls. If Body Labs is able to offer its customers the comfort of picking the clothing of their choice in their home combined with the reassurance that they will not have to deal with returning their clothes, it will be a win-win situation. A custom fit means happy customers and increased brand loyalty to Amazon’s private label fashion brands as well as reduced costs to the company. Furthermore, visualizing how an outfit looks on you virtually with the click of a button drastically decreases the amount of time you have to spend standing in line to get into a changing room only to realize that you don’t like any of the clothes you have picked out.  Amazon has set its target on several industries at once; here’s hoping it all works out.