I’m Mexican and my hometown is Miami, so I have been surrounded by Hispanic culture my entire life. I’ve only been away from home for a month, but I already miss speaking Spanish daily and being surrounded by my fellow Latinos. Boston is an extremely diverse city, so although there is Hispanic community here, it’s not as prevalent as back in my hometown — they call Miami the Latin American capital of the world for a reason. So, for any Hispanic or Latino gente out there in Boston who is missing home a little extra recently, here are a few ways to keep your Hispanic side alive in Boston.    

Miami is known as the "Latin Capital of America." PHOTO VIA PIXABAY

Miami is known as the “Latin Capital of America.” PHOTO VIA PIXABAY

Music

There is no question that music is a huge part of Hispanic and Latino culture. There is something about the familiar beats that bring you back to those childhood birthday parties at your tia’s house, dancing with all the cousins you never knew you had. There are just those songs that you HAVE to get up and dance to, like “Gasolina” by Daddy Yankee or “Mi Primer Millon” by Bacilos. Personally, reggaeton is my favorite type of Spanish music. So, I recently went to go see J Balvin, a Colombian music icon, at the Boch Center Wang Theatre here in Boston. Not only was the music fantastic and familiar, but I was surrounded by hundreds of Latinos, making me feel like I was back in Miami again. On Oct. 12 two more Latino music icons, Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull, will be performing at TD Garden. No matter which country you’re from, you will know at least half of the songs they perform. I know I’ll be there singing along to “Hero” and “I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)” all night. These concerts help me feel a little less homesick and take me back to Miami, even if it’s just for a few hours.  

Food

Another huge part of Hispanic culture is the food — some might say it’s even more important than the music. No matter what Latin American country you’re from, there is that one dish you can never resist. For me, it’s the Venezuelan tequeño. I could eat 100 of those in one sitting, no joke. Here is a list of a few places in Boston you can check out for all your Hispanic food cravings:

Orinoco

With three locations around Boston, amazing Venezuelan food is sure to be close by at Orinoco. Serving up traditional and authentic dishes such as arepas, pepitos and empanadas, this place is a must if you are missing those rich, Latin American flavors.  

El Pelón Taquería

As one of the most highly rated Mexican places in town, El Pelón is a great place to dig into some real mexican food, for they offer some more traditional type dishes. Two locations in the Boston area offer everything from tostadas to rajas con queso. As a Mexican, hearing the word “taquería” instantly gets me excited, so I know I will be visiting soon.

Machu Picchu

If you love good Peruvian ceviche like me, Machu Picchu should be on your list of restaurants to try. I don’t know what it is, but the tangy and fresh flavors of ceviche are an instant reminder of home for me. With so many options, Machu Picchu is a great spot to bless your tastebuds with some authentic Peruvian cuisine.   

Food and music are just a small portion of what makes up Hispanic culture. But, for me, they are the easiest and most effective ways of making me feel at home. Moving away from your hometown and leaving family behind marks a new chapter in your life, but that doesn’t mean you have to leave your culture and customs behind. On days where I miss Miami more than anything, knowing that there are things I can do to remind me of home makes it seem less far away. Hopefully this post helps some of my other Hispanic and Latino friends out there feel closer to home, and more in touch with their roots.

1. Nicole, Felicidades! Escribes super bien y me encantó que a través de tus palabras, se nota que estas orgullosa de tus orígenes, bien por ti! Te mando un beso y te deseo el mayor de los éxitos, seguramente me tocará leer muchos más artículos!!!!

2. You are a very talented writer Nicole! Great insights! Congratulations 🎈 So impressive all your advices after such a little time in your new city.