As someone with friends across the country and the world, I can tell you it’s rough to cope when your favorite humans are 2,000+ miles away. From coordinating FaceTime chats to even replying to a simple text with the three-or-more hour time difference, the distance is terrible.

Ideally, you’ll be able to plan trips to see your friends (or they will come and visit you). In my personal experience, it has to be a two-way street. You can’t always visit them and you shouldn’t rely on them to always come to you. From hiking in Arizona to celebrating my 22nd birthday, my friends have thankfully always come through for me.

It's hard to keep up friendships across the planet. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY

It’s hard to keep up friendships across the planet. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY

There’s no better way to power through the tough times than to travel across the country to visit your best friend. Exploring new places, helping your friend adapt to her new home, and getting away from the annoyances of daily life are all great things.

You’ll celebrate the good times together, and always be there for the not-so-good times. No matter what the distance, your friends will always be there for you.

You’ll still be celebrating graduations and new jobs and all the exciting moments, but the dinners and outings may be few and far between. Especially when one of your friends lives all the way in Cambodia.

FaceTime calls, phone calls, they’re all so important and SO much better than texting. Texting never gets your point across properly and who has the time to type out the entire story of their terrible work day or their exciting travel stories? You have to make the time to at least hear the other person’s voice and fully listen to their stories.

Long weekends can be a great time to visit people. School is tough and weekends can sometimes be your only study time, but you can use the flight time to get work done (six and a half hours on a flight to California is good bit of time to study up).

Find cheap flights, make good memories when you can, and just remember that no matter what, they’ll always be there for you even if they can’t be there physically. The most important thing is to remember that constant updates aren’t always possible, but the hour long calls, the late nights, the travel — they’re all worth the wait. Just remember your friends love you and you love them and long distance can always be overcome with a little effort and understanding.