While at school it’s pretty easy to lose track of what you actually need to do, what you want to do and what you should do. Time management seems like a given, but it can be harder than you think.

Manage your time wisely by setting up a study schedule. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Do: put yourself first
Everyone’s doing a lot of different things, but none of it matters if you’re not clean, hydrated, well-fed and well-rested. You’re of no use to anyone (including yourself) if you’ve pulled three all-nighters and you smell like dirty socks. There is a way to get everything done, have a social life and whatever else it is you decide to do at BU, but on that list is not being a stinky slob who thinks they can do it all. Give yourself some TLC and you’ll definitely feel better.

Don’t: get caught up in other people’s problems
You can’t solve all your friends’ problems. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do anything for anyone. When you find yourself involved in somebody else’s business, ask yourself, “Is it appropriate to even be involved in this?” and “Do I have the time to handle this?” Taking a step back and asking that first is a great way to actually help out your loved ones. They’ll appreciate honesty instead of you just taking on a task halfheartedly.

Do: your school work as soon as you get it
It’s Thursday, all your classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and you have four assignments due Tuesday. Do at least one assignment a night to keep yourself sane and not rush things. Even if you have class every day, it doesn’t matter. Read your syllabus ahead of time, see when you have a lot of work and get a head start. But do not do everything a week or so early — just keep up with your work and do it at a good pace. Don’t start racing the professor or something crazy. Just get it done in a timely manner so you can spend some time at a cool restaurant instead of in your chosen study space for hours on end. Got it? Good.

Don’t: freak out
Nothing is really that big of a deal if you don’t make it one. Everyone at this school is here to help. Remember how I said not to get too involved in other people’s business and get overwhelmed? Other people are paid to freak out for you and get all up in your business. Whether it’s academic advising or whatever else you may need, everyone is here to help. Your success is all that matters, so keep yourself level headed. It will all work out eventually.

Do: have fun
Don’t worry about being all business all the time. Sometimes having fun and then getting back to your school work or student organization is the best way to clear your head. Do whatever it is you love doing and then go and do whatever else you need to do. The best way to be productive is to take a break.