There is something really special about a farmers market in the city. It is slightly out of place — the little white tents are dwarfed by the surrounding skyscrapers and the stacked crates of brightly colored produce beam cheerfully at taxis and pedestrians. But farmers markets work so perfectly, especially in Boston. Farmers markets provide a quaint respite in a busy city, where one can slow down and peruse through Swiss chard and heirloom tomatoes in the open air. However, farmers markets are more than a way for city dwellers to reconnect with nature for a moment; they are an integral link between rural and urban, grower and chef. It is important to know where your food comes from, and what better and more organic way than to shake the hand that picked it from the dirt. Markets link the community to local producers, helping to foster their community and to support the businesses of hardworking farmers. Find a farmers market near you to experience good food and good people.
Brookline Winter Farmers Market
This indoor market takes place on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., November to April, in Coolidge Corner. Make sure to check out Nobska Farms’ famous chili peppers, which are chemical-free.

Yup, we've got peppers! Copper Bhuts and Bhut twin.

A post shared by Nobska Farms, Inc. (@nobskafarms) on

Cambridge/Central Square Farmers Market
Only in its eighth season, the Central Square Farmers Market has become a Cambridge staple. Check it out at the parking lot at Norfolk Street and Bishop Allen Drive on Mondays from 12 to 6 p.m., May to November.

Copley Square Farmers Market
Boston’s biggest and busiest farmers market is located right in the heart of the shopping district at Copley Square on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Make sure to check out their abundance of organic farms before it closes for the season around Thanksgiving.

New destination checked ☑️ #boston #layover #sunflower

A post shared by Sharon (@sharon_083) on

Oak Square Farmers Market
This market, located in Brighton at 640 Washington St., aims to bring sustainable, reliable and local healthy foods to the neighborhood. It takes place on Wednesdays from 4 to 7 p.m., but make sure to check it out before it closes on Sept. 27.

Surely beats the dinner I had planned. Thank you, @wagwanjerkbar

A post shared by Erica Marksteiner (@emarks5) on

Boston Public Market
This “dynamic civic space” is open year-round from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (except for Sundays, when they open at 10 a.m.). The indoor market, located right by Haymarket Station, City Hall Plaza and the North End, houses 40 local farmers, fishers and food entrepreneurs selling a wide variety of food and drink.

Summer in the city! #deweysquarefarmersmarket

A post shared by Svetlana Nelson (@svetanelson) on

ReVision Urban Farm
This community-based urban agricultural project grows produce in its own fields and enlists volunteers, so if you want to get involved in Boston’s biggest neighborhood, make sure to check it out. It closes in mid-October but until then, it takes place on Fridays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester.

Come check us out tomorrow for our seedling sale from 10am to 3pm!! #urbanfarming #seedling sale #bostonsbest #greenhousemajic

A post shared by ReVision Urban Farm (@revisionfarm) on

Allston/Union Square Farmers Market
If you’re interested in learning more about a neighborhood you’ve probably only prowled at night, check out the farmer’s market at the Jackson Mann Community Center in Allston. From June 14 to Nov. 4, this market takes place every other Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Fresh picked berries! #strawberries #blueberries #blackberries #gooseberries #currants

A post shared by Marshall Farm Concord (@marshallfarmconcord) on

SoWa Open Market
You’ve probably seen friends post pictures from SoWa on Instagram because this market offers more than just locally grown food — it also features vendors who sell jewelry and others kinds of art. Catch it through Oct. 29 on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Harrison Avenue in the South End.

#southendopenmarket #newenglandopenmarkets #sowa #sowafarmersmarket #boston #herblyceum

A post shared by DR (@mdfoxmdphd) on