It’s that time of year again, the time when everyone flocks to their nearest drug store and paces through the aisles in search of a nirvana that can only come around once a year. That’s right, it’s when all the Easter candy that remained unbought by BU’s largely secular student body goes on sale. It’s time to break out those CVS ExtraCare cards and prepare for the inevitable sugar shock.

5. Hershey’s Marshmallow Eggs

I had no idea these even existed until I had to write this article, and there’s a reason for that. These eggs are sickly sweet marshmallows with the texture of fondant covered by a thin layer of waxy chocolate. Though they’re not terrible, they’re a little too much for me. But if you need to raise your blood sugar quickly, these are passable.

4. Easter Hershey’s Kisses

I love Hershey’s Kisses as much as the next girl, but these have absolutely no seasonal urgency to them. I can buy Hershey’s Kisses at any time of the year, and the pastel colored wrapper makes no difference to the chocolate in any way.

3. Kit Kat Miniatures with “Fun Easter Designs”

These Kit Kats share the same issue as the Kisses. I would trade my firstborn child for a Kit Kat any day of the week, but the Easter Kit Kats are painfully boring. They’re an upgrade from the Kisses in that they have “Fun Easter Designs,” according to the wrappers, but they still don’t have that seasonal “oomph” that makes Easter candy truly great.

Annual candy is always a fun time, especially when it goes on sale after the holiday. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY USER JILL WELLINGTON

2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs

I give these a pass on the “proximity to Easter” category because they are shaped like eggs. But besides the different shape they are just your normal, everyday Reese’s, which, on their own, are incredible culinary inventions. This is the candy that a thousand chocolate peanut butter knockoff desserts.

1. Cadbury Mini Eggs

Finally, a candy you can only get during this holiday. They are a gift to all on Easter, Christians and non-Christians alike. Cadbury eggs are truly something special. They’re like M&Ms, but better. I can eat an entire bag of these in an hour flat if someone gives me the opportunity to.