Between finals, final papers and whatever else is going on during a hectic end of the semester, moving out can be the last thing on your mind. With just a few tips you’ll be able to have a nice calm move out with plenty of time to wish your friends goodbye for the summer.

1. It’s never too early to start.

If you’re like me, getting stuff done is a great feeling. If you start to get the itch to pack up, just do it. The end of the semester isn’t that far off and putting a few things away here or there can make you feel way better about how on earth you’re going to get all your stuff home.

2. Pack up things you don’t use first.

The days are getting warmer and odds are you won’t need a very heavy coat anymore, maybe just a light jacket here or there. Pack up coats, extra sets of sheets, but make sure you have at least two clean ones, and whatever else you never ever use. Your room will feel less cluttered, and you can still have access to whatever you need, just without winter things getting in the way and now you’re packed up just a little more.

PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER NIKOLAS HUK

The end of the semester is almost here, and among all of the chaos it can be easy to forget about the moving out process. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER NIKOLAS HUK

3. Use it as a method of productive procrastination.

Final papers and finals are all around us and sometimes taking a break can make you feel guilty. By packing up some of your space in between studying, not only are you getting an equally important task done, but you’re giving yourself a chance to feel like not studying for a minute was totally acceptable, which it is.

4. Don’t do everything at once.

If you try to take everything you have at school and pack it up in one day, odds are you’ll get a little overwhelmed, think it’s never ending, and make it seem way worse than it is. Take a step back and start packing a few days, or weeks depending on how much stuff you have, in advance so that it can be a piece by piece project to do.

5. Ask for help.

Friends are always willing to do something that’s not studying or writing a paper during this time of the year, so why not ask some of them to head up to your room and put some stuff in boxes. You may even have a friend who lives nearby who would be happy to have you leave a few boxes in his or her house over the summer so your room doesn’t look like you’re squatting in it. And if you don’t have a conveniently located friend, there are lots of options to mail stuff home, or put it in a storage facility so move out day can have a little less stuff involved.

6. Use it as a time to do some spring cleaning.

Face it, not everything in your room is worth keeping, and a lot of it could just be a lot of old assignments floating around, or clothes you brought to school and haven’t worn once. You could sort whatever trash is in your room into recycling, trash and compost. A little extra time to move out could go a long way for the environment. As for the clothes, donate them. Lots of places on and around campus would be more than happy to have some of the clothes you’ve collected over the past two semesters.