I always get weird stares when people see “extra virgin raw coconut oil” on my dorm countertop. “You eat that?” or “Wait, but how do you use this?” The questions get annoying after awhile. Alas, I am here to give a voice to coconut oil. It’s time to stop judging it and start using it.

But first, two things:

1. Yes, it’s pretty expensive, with prices ranging from $4.99 to $29.99. But, it’s meant to last a long time and needs to be of good quality.

2. Try aiming for the “extra virgin,” “extra raw,” “unprocessed” or “organic” kind. Your body will thank you.

OK, now let me explain. Coconut oil does wonders. It can literally do anything (except what it can’t do). Here are five of the best ways to use it, in my opinion:

1. Hair care

Ladies and/or gentlemen, the secret to healthy, shiny, thick hair is revealed. Lather on some liquid coconut oil from the tips of your hair to your scalp, tie it in a bun if it’s long enough, and leave it in there for either a couple hours or overnight. The longer the better (but not too long). Double-shampoo in your next shower, condition once again, and voila. You’ll instantly see (and smell) a better difference. Repeat this process two or three times a week, and your hair will thank you forever and beyond.

2. Makeup remover

Yup. You read that right. No more buying artificial makeup wipes, which are loaded with too many chemicals. Coconut oil easily takes off mascara  even the waterproof kind. It also adds a nourishing effect to your eyelashes, so those babies will thank you once their rehydrated and soft in the morning.

Coconut oil is the be-all, end-all beauty and health product, period. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

3. A spoonful a day

I personally haven’t done this, but you can bet money I’m going to start. After reading that it helps convert bad cholesterol into the good kind and that Miranda Kerr is devoted to it for her clear skin and shiny hair in an article for the Daily Mail (“I will not go a day without coconut oil. I personally take four tablespoons per day, either on my salads, in my cooking or in my cups of green tea”), I’m about to go grab some spoons from the dining hall after writing this thing.

4. Moisturizer/lip balm

Coconut oil never fails to quickly hydrate any part of the body. Honestly, it’s the ultimate hydrating guarantee.

5. Teeth whitener/toxin remover

Swish around a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for about five to 15 minutes, but be careful so as to not swallow it. Spit it out in a waste basket right afterward, because spitting it out into a sink or drain will eventually clog it (it’ll harden, etc.). This is actually an ancient technique used by the Ayurvedics and is a natural teeth whitener and toxin remover. The actual name for this process is “oil pulling” as the oil “pulls” toxins from your body and out into the wastebasket. Not to worry if this sounds weird  it’s still done today by many models, common folk, my parents, and soon, me.

What are you waiting for? Go buy a jar ASAP.