Boston University has an interesting way of celebrating Marathon Monday. It’s always a loud, raucous mess and it’s definitely a crazy way to celebrate people who run 26.2 miles straight on a brutal day. Boston has one of the hardest marathons with Heartbreak Hill being a truly daunting part of the race, so BU celebrates by sending volunteers down the line and drinking more than a few beers (if you’re over 21, of course).

5 a.m.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Time to wake up and start the day. For me, it’s getting together with my friends for a big breakfast and a 6 a.m. piña colada. Oh yeah, super tropical. People are running 26.2 miles and we celebrate with large boozy breakfasts. Is it a little bit opposite to the cause? Maybe. But it’s also the one day we get to relax between spring break and finals.

8 a.m.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Preparing for the day. Getting the bags ready, the snacks packed and the schedule of day-gers to attend. From ages 21 to 25 (is day partying acceptable after this age? I’m not quite sure), it is an enjoyable day to kick back and see friends who have been in hiding from midterms.

12 p.m.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Actually watch the marathon. You need to spend some time appreciating the hard work and effort that thousands of people put in to run the hardest run of their lives for fun. I can almost guarantee there is nothing fun and light-hearted about running until your armpits, thighs and — dare I say it — nipples chafe to the point where Vaseline cannot save you now. These people are hard, tough, determined humans who run their hearts out on one of the most infamous days in Boston history.

3 p.m.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

At this point, most college students are probably in a stupor. My apartment is likely filled with humans I don’t know. I will be at Kung Fu Tea or Tavern in the Square, enjoying Big Dig Fries or some boba. Again, celebrating and supporting marathoners by eating and drinking like a marathoner.

6 p.m.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Not going to lie, I am usually asleep at this point. What can I say? Staying awake and running around for 12 hours is hard. Not marathon-running hard, but for some of us koala-esque humans, we need our naps and rest. 10/10 would recommend popping a few Advils and drinking a lot of water before this sleep. The running around, heat, drinking, etc. can dehydrate you. With this method, you wake up around 11 p.m., go back to sleep and then finally rise at 7 a.m. feeling like you can run the world.

Marathon Monday is a fascinating holiday for college students. Like a school-wide party to celebrate everyone who has the ability to outrun all of us. Shout out to the marathoners and runners everywhere. Cheers to your abilities. One day I hope to be able to run like you can.