It’s 2017 and it seems like negativity is on the rise. It feels like no matter what is going on, there’s always something to complain about. But as we head toward the end of the semester, I want to focus on positivity and being grateful. There’s always some light in the dark, some reason to be appreciative and a reason to be thankful. Here are some positive thoughts I’ve had in the past few weeks:

I have to work five shifts this week at work, but I am thankful I have a job.

I have an exam, an essay, a quiz, a final project, and another essay, but I am happy I have the opportunity to be at Boston University.

When life gets too stressful, it's important to focus on the positives. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

When life gets too stressful, it’s important to focus on the positives. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

I haven’t had the chance to sleep much this past week, but it’s nice knowing I have a warm bed and cozy apartment to return to.

This semester has been pretty rough, but at least I had an amazing week in Montreal for spring break.

It has been crazy stressful planning formal as the social director for my fraternity, but thank God I have my committee and we have an amazing formal planned at the Ritz-Carlton.

I have some amazing friends, people who care about me, a boyfriend who is always there for me and opportunities to meet new people. It’s easy to trap yourself in a bubble and forget all of the positive influences in your life, but if you look around, there are many wonderful people in your life.

After reflecting on the positive parts of my life, it’s even easier to find little things to appreciate.

When I wake up in the morning I try to list the things I am grateful for and I try to name one positive thing that happened to me each day, even if several negative things did happen.

If I am stuck late at work, I remember some people are trying to find work with no luck. When I’m upset I remind myself of all the people I have to comfort me and make sure I am OK. When class work gets too stressful, I am thankful I am here and I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t have the ability to get all the work done.

Here’s some small ways you can bring positivity into your life every day:

1. Wake up and name three things you’re thankful for.
2. Appreciate the little things (for me it’s friends, small animals and memes).
3. Remember you’re not alone and there’s always an upside to the situation.
4. Stretch. It doesn’t have to be yoga, but seriously, your connective tissue needs it and it will make you 5. feel so much better especially if you’re tense or stressed.
6. Do things that make you happy, if it doesn’t make you happy, if it only causes anxiety and stress, then stop. Your mind and body are telling you that it’s not for you.
7. Smile! Nothing is easier and nothing is more effective than smiling and seeing that positivity can be reflected back at you.
8. Breathe. Life is good. Get out there and live it through the eyes of a child with full, unbridled happiness, positivity in the present and hope for the future.