As high school seniors are now opening their 2021 acceptance letters to Boston University and just about ready to start a whole new chapter in their lives, my freshman year here is just about ending. It’s been bittersweet. My first year went by way too quickly. Despite its apparent shortness, I did learn a thing or two about how to settle in easier. However, I learned even more about what not to do. Whether you’re an incoming freshman who’s reading this to gain some knowledge or a senior wanting to reminisce on your past experiences, you’ll inevitably shudder at the mistakes made by almost every first-year student.

1. Choosing roommates beforehand
This one is tough. I have some friends who have decided to room together from high school, or decided via matching on Facebook during the summer and then ended up hating that person after a couple months. Not to be too blunt, but if you go random and dislike them, you can’t blame yourself for picking them in the first place, right? Also, I went random and ended up with a nice RA-sized single in Warren. Make fun of me all you want, but it’s been so good to me.

Before we know it, it'll be the fall and we'll have a whole new class of freshmen to get used to. If that's you, make sure you don't make these mistakes. PHOTO VIA PEXELS

Before we know it, it’ll be the fall and we’ll have a whole new class of freshmen to get used to. If that’s you, make sure you don’t make these mistakes. PHOTO VIA PEXELS

2. Unlimited dining plan
I get it. The apple crisp is good. Really good, in fact, it’s almost suspiciously good. But after that, everything else is, well, subpar. The watered-down oatmeal gets old, your body soon rejects all the cereal that’s been put into it and sometimes the vegan chicken nuggets make you start to question life itself. Save your money. Kudos to you if you actually make it down to the dining hall to eat three meals a day, but for the rest of us, keep snacks in your room or try the George Sherman Union. You’ll be fine.

3. Morning classes
In my first week of school freshman year, I was signed up for 8:00 a.m. French 1 four times a week. I thought I could do it, I thought I’d be a morning person and conquer the a.m. and make that class. Nope. My earliest class now is at 9:30 a.m. and yet I still struggle to make it on time. Even if you are a morning person and spend the morning working out, cleaning your room or even doing laundry, most of the time professors aren’t even at their peak teaching level until a couple hours later.

4. Wet Wednesday and Thirsty Thursday
If you don’t already know, this is when students go out on Wednesdays and Thursdays to local parties. I don’t want to be a mom here and I will admit that they’re extremely fun, but what’s not fun is missing all of your classes the next day because of how tired or lazy you feel due to the parties. I wish I had just done so over the weekend and not during the week. Trust me, if you’re trying to get your act together, don’t party Monday through Thursday. Just learn self-control.