EN 175: Literature and the Art of Film
As a double major in Cinema and Media Studies and English, I can state with absolutely no bias that this is a class you should take. Nothing is better than taking a class where the majority of your time is spent watching movies and pretending like it’s work and that you’re really studying. Professor Jonathan Foltz is a veritable fountain of arcane film knowledge and has a genuine love of literature that makes this class a pleasure to be in.

AM 301: Perspectives on the American Experience
American Studies is the grab bag department of BU — you never quite know what you’re gonna get. This particular seminar focuses on representations of the American teenager in literature, film and pop culture. So if you’ve ever wanted to claim that Ferris Bueller is an American cultural icon, take this class and you can state for a fact that you studied his titular day off in college.

Most people don't even take the time to read through gen-ed class descriptions, so skip the hunt and read the list for the best classes available. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Most people don’t even take the time to read through gen-ed class descriptions, so skip the hunt and read the list for the best classes available. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

RN 100: Introduction to Religion
Everyone knows about religion, but I would say very few people know what religion actually is and how it works. Intro to Religion explores all aspects of religion: the historical, the ethical, the philosophical and the actual experience of it all. If you want a class that encourages actually interesting discussions and gives you some definite ammo for arguments back home with your parents about how “church-going is just a social construct, man,” then go ahead and sign up.

HI 190: History of Boston
It turns out that there are more mysterious things surrounding Boston than its bizarre climate. If you’ve ever wanted to delve into the history of the city we’ve all found ourselves residing in for the next four years, look no further. In HI 190, you actually get to examine old letters, diaries and artifacts while putting together the history of Boston. Also, this class has field trips galore into the city. Who doesn’t love field trips?

CL 221: Greek History
Now, I know this subject may sound a little dry at first and I get it. Greek history? Who cares. But trust me, this is one class you don’t want to miss. Especially considering that is it taught by Professor Loren J. Samons II, who is one of the most entertaining and lively professors BU has to offer. He makes even the dullest of dull military history fascinating and hilarious. It’s impossible to be bored during one of his lectures.