For college student Katy Flannery, being lactose intolerant came with such a lack of alternative food options that she decided to take it upon herself to bring about change. After graduating from Villanova University, her and classmate Gwen Burlingame combined their knowledge of food science into a line of ice cream called Minus the Moo.

Minus the Moo is special because unlike other alternative ice cream products for the lactose intolerant, there is real milk and dairy in the product. What’s different is there is an addition of the enzyme lactase that those with lactose intolerance are unable to produce. Once the enzyme is added, the product becomes digestible for anyone.

Minus the Moo ice cream comes in five exciting flavors and is the perfect alternative for the lactose intolerant. PHOTO COURTESY OF MINUS THE MOO

Minus the Moo comes in five exciting flavors from vanilla to sea salt caramel. Upon eating them, it’s not even a question of how the ice cream differs from its competitor, it’s just good — plain and simple.

The full list of flavors includes vanilla, chocolate, espresso, mint chip and sea salt chocolate chip. Each flavor’s ingredient list is simple — just cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks, lactase and whatever else makes the flavor unique in itself.

The mint chocolate flavor contains the essentials plus peppermint extract and chocolate chips. The mint flavor is bold, the ice cream itself is creamy and the chocolate chips add just the right amount of chocolate to the ice cream.

Sea salt chocolate chip was actually created accidentally, but instead of throwing away the batch, Flannery and Burlingame decided to take advantage of the situation and create a unique flavor. The ice cream has a vanilla base with a slightly salty aftertaste, balancing with the chocolate chips for a perfect sweet and salty combination.

The ice cream is available most notably at the Whole Foods in Boston’s South End, The Golden Goose Market in the North End, Foodie’s Market and on AmazonFresh. It’s an incredible option for those who would originally have to look elsewhere for ice cream products. Now those who are lactose intolerant can share with their friends and everyone can enjoy this delicious product.

1. My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was once entirely right. This post actually made my day. You can not consider just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!