It seems as though I’ve been deemed the “mom” of my friend group. A term used to coin the friend that is protective (sometimes too much so), responsible, caring and full of advice. I don’t mean to brag, but I love being the “mom friend.” It comes with a lot of ups and downs, but I would go to the ends of the earth to ensure the happiness of my friends and family.

In high school, I was named a captain of our track team, despite my lack of outstanding athletic talent. My coach told me that it was because I had this ability to lead a group without even saying a word. My teammates referred to me as “Track Mom” because I always went to practices and meets prepared with snacks, bandages or extra safety pins.

It’s just part of my nature to always be “over-prepared” for every situation. I kind of blame my parents for that — they’re both extreme over-packers who claim that if you bring your raincoat, then it will keep the rain away from the entire vacation. Honestly, when I was in Scotland, I found myself handing out Band-Aids and granola bars to kids on the bus who I didn’t even know, because one hangry person leads to an army of them.

It's hard work, but someone's got to be the mom in the friend group. Photo via Wikimedia Commons.

It’s hard work, but someone’s got to be the mom in the friend group. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

It also may have something to do with being the youngest sibling and the only girl, or the extreme love and nurturing that I received growing up. My family is pretty big so I’m used to always having someone caring for me, so why not be the one to share that feeling with friends.

From late night phones calls to mid-afternoon surprise FaceTime calls to discuss school, roommates, siblings or course work, I’m the go-to friend. I love giving advice to all of my friends, no matter what. I’m always down to hang back on the sand with one of my friends who feels too sunburnt to go into the water or hosting a movie night when one of my pals is feeling a little down. I seem to always rally up the troops when it comes time to head back to our dorms after a night in Allston.

I cannot count how many broken flip-flops I have fixed, Band-Aids I’ve applied or tears I’ve wiped, along with how many times I’ve said “be safe,” “call me if you need me” and “I’m not your real mom.” I constantly remind my friends not to text and drive or speed. Whenever a large group of us goes out to eat, the check is handed to me to decide how to split it.

I may occasionally complain, but at the end of the day, I love being the mom friend.