We all know how bad the weather in Boston can get. It’s snowing one minute, then sunny and 55 degrees the next minute. It’s a fickle city we live in, but even on its worst days, we all need some inspiration to keep up our fitness regimen while braving the elements. As a strong, empowered human, you know that while you can make it to the gym, you could use some added motivation.

Step one: Look out your window and accept your fate

It’s going to be brutal out there. You can see the wind whipping the snow around outside. People are walking the sidewalks more cautiously than a mountaineer scaling an ice shelf on Mt. Everest. The Canada Goose jackets are in full effect. Fur-trimmed hoods are blown off by aggressive winds, faces are cringing from the icy blasts and feet are kicking up from slipping on the black ice hidden under the thick white snow. It’s truly an exhilarating experience. Once you accept that you will soon be in this frigid environment, you can move on to step two.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Alternate step one:

Call all your friends for inspiration or drag your roommate out to the gym with you. Companionship can be a great motivator. If you find it hard to work out solo, this is the way to go. Your friends and roommates won’t leave you hanging.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Step two: Bundle up

I’m not talking a puffy jacket here. I mean a shirt, a blanket scarf wrapped around your torso, a sweatshirt, a jacket, a winter puffy jacket, another scarf for your neck, fleece lined gloves, a hat and boots so big that fur-lined UGG boots would be jealous. There can never be too many layers. The idea here is to go outside resembling a multi-colored marshmallow.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Step 3: Brave the first step into the wintery abyss

That moment where you think you finally found solid ground to walk on but it turned out to be a two-foot-deep hole of powdery snow? You’ll find a couple of them, but it’s only an addition to your impending workout. The gym is only a short walk or bus ride away. You can do this.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Step 4: Consider the benefits of working out

Think of how happy and healthy you’ll feel after your workout. It’s almost enough to get you running to the gym (if the cold hasn’t inspired you to do this already). Soon, you’ll be inside the warm gym, shedding your winter coats and getting healthy. The endorphins will keep you happy on your walk home too. Soon it’ll be Excitement City, population: you.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY

Step 5: Get to the gym

The hardest part is over. You have made it to the gym. Now find inspiration for those 21 laps around the cozy indoor track or 10-15 reps of each lifting exercise, then you’ll be golden.

gif via GIPHY

gif via GIPHY