You’d think it would be peaceful to return to a clean and quiet apartment everyday, but it is truly uneventful without your entire friend group on campus. Boston University has definitely given me my best friends in the world, and a month without them was semi-brutal. Break is nice but an active semester is somehow better. School is stressful, but it is better to be suffering together with friends. This is what happened when I was alone in Allston over winter break.

Week 1: This break will be so peaceful.

Sweet, sweet peace and quietness. Living with all guys has its ups and downs. Sometimes it’s a raucous mess of loud banter and trap music, and sometimes it’s a total disaster in the apartment. But after a few days of not having them around, it got pretty lonely.

The bright side to all of this is being able to catch up on some much needed sleep and recuperate from finals. Some much needed “me time” was taken to just breathe a little.

Somehow, the city feels empty. Although all the students are gone, the T is still packed tighter than a sardine can. It’s positively unreal.

Week 2: Never mind, I am lonely now — please everyone come home now.

My friends are spread out in Taiwan, California and New York. Being able to walk three minutes to their dorm or apartment is no longer an option, and it is a truly sad thing. Someone please play with me.

Working almost daily for two weeks is great for the wallet and also lovely for combatting the urge to nap 24/7.

Halfway through this break, I’m still wishing I didn’t live alone all break.

Week 3: Someone please come back to me.

I have cleaned the apartment, not once, not twice but three times. I clearly need to develop a hobby because the boredom is real. The city is still dead quiet. CVS and Pavement Coffeehouse have shorter hours. The gym is closed around holidays. Ugh, it’s a tough life being alone in Boston for break. Truly some very real first world pains.

At least there is Frozen Fenway to look forward to. Which got moved, because Boston’s weather and snow is too aggressive.

Week 3 Part Two: No, really this is already the worst.

I created a website. At least boredom has inspired me to develop a new website, apartment hunt and job hunt for next semester?

Spoiler alert: BU killed UMass

Hopefully this week will pass quickly so I can be reunited with my favorite humans.

Week 4: The will to live is wearing thin.

My friends are finally coming back! After three weeks of solitude and pseudo-relaxation, it will be nice to have my people back. It only took four hours before my roommate and I got back to heading to Bonchon for dinner and banter, going to Dolphin Bay and drink bubble tea with my best friends, watching movies with the roommates and partying with friends, all of them came back within a day. Thank God.

It is truly amazing how quickly life went back to normal with a social life after people came back to campus. So, so, so happy to have my friends back home with me at BU.