Every time an artist changes their style, fans explode. They feel betrayed. Whether its Bob Dylans choice to go electricat the Newport Folk Festival, Kid Cudis transformation into a punk rocker or even Taylor Swifts step in the pop direction. Childish Gambinos new album, Awaken, My Love! can be seen as a step into a funky direction. Here are the top five best songs from the album:

1. “Me and Your Mama

Me and Your Mamawas the first single to be released before the album dropped. It shook all of Gambinos fans. The fiery verses complement the cool beats.

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.

2. “Riot

This track feels like an acid trip to the 60s and 70s. Gambino channels his inner James Brown. In the background is a psychedelic rock track reminiscent of Buffalo Springfield.

3. “Terrified

The name says it all. The song feels like a gradual descent into darkness. The scare factor of this track lies in the calm nature of the vocals with the grisly subject matter of the lyrics. Chills run down my spine every time I listen to the song.

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.

4. “Baby Boy

If you thought Gambino was good at singing jazz, then you are in for another surprise with this track. He sounds like a modern Billie Holiday in this track. Gambino tells the story of a mother losing her son through the mothers point of view.

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.

5. “Stand Tall

The final song on the album is by far the clearest of the whole album. The vocals are raw and beautiful. This ballad is almost a cappella. The music in the background is a light, synthesized guitar chord sequence. Toward the end of the track, the beat picks up and turns into a confusing, but beautiful song.

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.