PHOTO VIA FLICKR.

Twins can be just as similar as they are different. PHOTO VIA FLICKR.

Twins are portrayed in books, films and TV shows as clones. They finish each other’s sentences, act and dress the same and in some cases look the same. But these stereotypes are more myth than fact when it comes to my relationship with my twin brother, Andrew.

When you first see me and Andrew, you will probably be unable to tell if we are related or not. In high school, his freshman year English teacher refused to believe I existed until I took her class two years later. Even then, she was skeptical.

Our physical similarities are: we’re both over 6 feet tall (I am 6 feet 2 inches and Andrew is 6 feet 4 inches), we have the same color eyes (ocean blue with a yellow ring around the pupil), we wear rectangular tortoise shell glasses and we have the same color hair (brown).

gif via IMGUR.

gif via IMGUR.

Besides our physical features, we’re completely different. He is muscular, while I look like a bag of sticks held together by silly putty. Andrew thinks fashion is a waste of time while I “waste” countless hours choosing an outfit. His hair is much thicker and stays perfectly still throughout the whole day. My hair is much thinner, longer and usually has an obscene amount of product in it.

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.

Our academic interests are also polar opposites. Andrew is studying to be a mechanical engineer and loves science and math. I, on the other hand, am a journalism and political science major and enjoy literature, philosophy and economics. I can often be found with a book in my hand while my brother is usually building something.

Although we have all these differences, we are brothers. We love discussing our academic pursuits. I listen to the plans for his latest engineering project. He nods his head while I go on my philosophic or political rants. He even reads my articles when I know that he would rather be doing something else.

Our friends and family often say we complement each other. My craziness complements his stoic nature. I recommend books for him to read, and he teaches me about subjects such as physics, which I thought I would never learn. We share music back and forth in between texts full of memes.

We fight just like all siblings. I can mimic his voice on command, which he doesn’t like. Sometimes he is an emotional enigma while I talk too much about my emotions. We make fun of each other’s shortcomings such as his lack of common sense or the universe’s constant practical joke of putting me in situations that are ridiculous.

People like to think twins are the same person just doubled. But in reality we are more like yin and yang. We can function separately but we love to come together as a whole.