One of the best Hollywood on-screen pairs, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, have come together once again for their newest film, La La Land.Not only is it set in a dreamy landscape, but its also paired with fantastic choreography and original music. This film isnt just your average romance movie, but a cinematic work of art in the form of a musical. Who knew these two brilliant actors could also sing? Listen to Ryan Goslings charming performance in City of Stars.

This love story takes place in the heart of Los Angeles. Director Damien Chazelle of Whiplashfame aims to depict the city as an aspirational dreamland,” according to The LA Times. Emma Stone plays Mia, a small-town girl who dreams of becoming a Hollywood star despite numerous humiliating auditions. On the other hand, Ryan Gosling plays Sebastian, a musician who strives to open his own jazz club despite a dying appreciation for the genre. The two eventually cross paths and fall in love, but their lives are complicated by their efforts to achieve their goals. Stone herself stated that she found the plot to be especially romantic, because two people somehow find each other when theyre each in a rut, and inspire each other to follow the paths theyve been dreaming about all along.

Musicals have long been a struggling category in film, but Chazelle, an Academy Award nominee, has been able to aid its comeback. At first, he couldnt get La La Landmade for years because musicals were considered to be an extinct genre.No studio was willing to finance an original contemporary musical with no familiar songs to build off a pre-existing fanbase. Despite doubts about the success of a musical with original music, it turned out to win the praise of many critics, who raved about the freshness and imagination of something that is brand new. In fact, the film has already landed three Hollywood Music in Media Awards nominations for its score.

Additionally, with the powerful and passionate performances of Stone and Gosling, this film managed to acquire widespread critical acclaim. Both actors brought in their own real-life audition experiences to emphasize the importance of hard work and determination to achieve success. Though Chazelle employs a risky method of storytelling, the film allows the audience to become fully encompassed in a sensory experience that demands an emotional response. Not only is La La Landan intimate masterpiece, but a beacon of hope for future musicals in the film industry.

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

La La Landisnt just any other movie with singing: its revolutionary and a shining breakthrough in the film industry. Its been called wondrous and magical, but it also has the potential to make lovers of us all,” according to Variety. It draws attention to euphonious creativity and old-school Hollywood, producing a work of outstanding artistry that is sure to take your breath away. This modern-day musical hits theaters on Dec. 16, so be sure to get your ticket to witness this dazzling masterpiece first-hand.