I will admit that I dont have a love for reading books. Nowadays, I prefer watching videos on YouTube or movies on Netflix. However, when I was in elementary school, I remember going to the local library every week and reading books every single night. If you really delve into it, reading childrens books could feel like a movie. Childrens books are so simple to read, and visualizing the story doesnt involve that much energy. I feel that reading more advanced books require a wealth of vocabulary and background information. Looking back to the good old days before textbooks, here are five of my favorite childrens books to read when I was a kid:

1. “The Secrets of Droon

Tony Abbotts The Secrets of Droonwas my favorite childrens book series when I was a kid. I remembered reading the Scholastic magazine my elementary school handed out, and seeing the The Secrets of Droonas a highly recommended book. If I were to compare this book series to another, I would say that its pretty similar to theHarry Potterseries. It was a fantasy book that lasted for eight editions and 11 years.

2. “Magic Tree House

Mary Pope Osbornes Magic Tree Housewas one of the first childrens book series that I ever read. It involves two siblings, Jack and Annie, as they travel through time and space through a tree house. They went through various adventures and touches upon many historical events. The book series got interesting when they started to discover how the magic tree house was able to travel through time.

3. “Cam Jansen Mysteries

I will say that David A. Adlers Cam Jansen Mysteriesseries was one of my favorite detective books for children. It involves a young girl, Cam Jansen, who has a photographic memory. She was able to use her

Dr. Seuss' "The Cat in the Hat" is an iconic childhood book. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER MARSHILLONLINE.

Dr. Seuss’ “The Cat in the Hat” is an iconic childhood book. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER MARSHILLONLINE.

photographic memory for good, as she solved different crimes and mysteries.

4. “Baseball Card Adventures

Dan Gutmans Baseball Card Adventures series is similar to the Magic Tree House series, but instead of a magic tree house, the protagonist travel through time with baseball cards. A boy named Joe Stoshack has the ability to travel through time when he holds old baseball cards. He travels to the year the baseball card was made and where the baseball player on the card was located. Even though I wasnt a fan of baseball, I had a newfound affinity for baseball icons who made baseball great.

5. “The Cat in the Hat

Dr. Seuss The Cat in the Hatwas an instant classic. It was about a cat who caused many problems in two kids household, especially after he brought in two of his companions, Thing One and Thing Two. All of this was happening when their mother was out of the house. After everything was resolved and the house was returned to its previous state, their mother returned and asked what they did when she was gone. The books highlight the adventures that the children went through when their parents werent around.