1. You’re constantly told that its water, not wooder.

When you tell people that youre thirsty and need some wooder” (pronounced just so), they always make you repeat yourself. Then they proceed to let you know, in no uncertain terms, that youre wrong, and that the correct way to pronounce the word is wah-ter.

2. You really miss diners.

Once you leave the state, you also realize that you left behind the unwritten law stating that every town needs to have a diner. Where will you go if youre craving brunch, your friend is craving Greek food, your second friend wants Italian and your other friend wont settle for anything less than a burger? Looks like youre actually going to have to pick a genre of food to eat when you go out. Tragic! (And no, Dennys doesnt count. Nice try though.)

3. You also really miss Wawa. 

Life is rough without the divine convenience of Wawa, from late-night snacks to early-morning breakfasts on the run and everything in between. Whats even worse is when you attempt to explain what it is to an outsider. Theyre usually disgusted by the idea of Wawa because they cant wrap their mind around the concept.

4. You have to explain Joisey vs. Dirty Jerz all the time.

If youre from North Jersey, people will make fun of you for being from Joisey,and the Jersey Shorereferences will never quite end. If youre from South Jersey, people will make fun of you for being from Dirty Jerzand youre as good as garbage in their eyes. Its okay one persons trash is another persons treasure.

5. People are amazed at your knowledge of New Jerseys geography.

If youre from the south, you identify yourself by your nearest turnpike exit, and if youre from the north, you identify yourself by your county. The universe is always conspiring to prevent you from meeting anyone from your side of the state, but even so, outsiders are always in awe of your ability to know the general area that the other person is from.

6. You have to differentiate between the shore and the beach.

The phrase going down the shoredoes not exist outside of New Jersey, and you just have to accept the fact that everyone else will want to go to the beachinstead. Technically, the two phrases are just different ways of expressing the same sentiment, but it still stings when people correct you on it.

7. Your state is known as the Armpit of America.

You will overhear people having legitimate conversations about how they hate New Jersey. Theres just no getting over this one, and the best course of action is to just make peace with the fact that people will bond over their dislike for your home state. Its all good though, because at least you appreciate good olJersey.