By Shivani Patel, Staff Writer
@shizupates

Even I couldn't escape the faux pas of wearing a lanyard./ PHOTO VIA Niru V Photography

Even I couldn’t escape the faux pas of wearing a lanyard./ PHOTO VIA Niru V Photography

At last, we are all back to where we should be – clogging up Comm Ave. I’m sure it’s difficult for you freshmen to believe that you’ve finally made it to the next chapter in your journey towards adulthood.

Not so fast, though.

Before you get too starry-eyed, I’m here to tell you that you haven’t reached adulthood quite yet. Freshmen have a notorious reputation of doing anything and everything wrong. We don’t blame you – we’ve been there, done that – but we can definitely complain about it. Just don’t take it too personally.

To save you from the inevitable eye-rolls and the anger of the upperclassmen, here are a few pointers, in no particular order:

1. If you’re lost, get off the sidewalk
I know that BU can be pretty confusing when you don’t know what the silly acronyms mean or what B12 stands for, but trust me, nothing gets people madder than a person standing in the middle of the sidewalk. Or worse, walking at a snail’s pace. If you are this person, be prepared for the angry stares. If anything, simply find the address of your class and plug it into Google Maps. The estimated time of arrival is probably way longer than it will really take you, so don’t worry. It’s worth a glance to save you from clogging up the sidewalk by walking slow.

2. Traveling in groups is probably not the best idea.
Going off of the whole not getting in other people’s way, it might be a good idea to keep your group to a maximum of 3-4 people. Yes, BU does have quite large sidewalks but this does not mean you should take it to the next level and make it a “how many of my new friends can walk side by side” competition. This is made even worse with groups that keep slow paces. Do yourselves a favor and split up. You’ll get to know the people with you a bit better, and you won’t have to feel awkward when you can’t hear the person all the way at the other end of the chain. I promise you do not need to walk everywhere with every new friend you make.

3. Learn how to swipe in to dorms and dining halls.
I admit that I still have trouble swiping into Bay State dining hall (the scanner never recognizes my fingerprint), but try doing your best to observe how others swipe in so you can do the same. At Bay State dining hall, you have to hold your card against the number pad and then you have to press your finger (the finger you chose to use when you first got your student ID) against the scanner at the bottom. Meanwhile, at Warren, you only have to press your card against the scanner. At West, someone will usually scan your card for you, so you’re all set. As for dorms, always remember that your picture should be facing the left side.

4. Seat before food.
It’s a little bit sad to see freshmen with their plates of food, looking sad and lost when they realize there are no seats. Don’t be the people that sit on the ground. Instead, be sure to find your seat before you even touch food – though I do understand getting that last piece of pie. Once you find a seat, put something like a backpack or your lanyard down. Once you do this, you’re free to get the food that you want without worrying about finding a seat.

5. No. Lanyards.
You want to know the telltale sign of a freshman? The person wearing a lanyard around their neck carrying keys and ID is almost always a freshman. It may seem convenient, but just stick it in your pocket or your purse. Save yourself the embarrassment and just don’t do it. Just don’t. Lanyards are the new “kick me” sign.

And there you have it. I don’t make any guarantees, but this should help people reserve their judgments about you.

For the love of Rhett, please don’t be that freshman.