By Danny McCarthy, Staff Writer
@dannyvonunicorn

The Green Monster and Rosie the Riveter all thrown into one./PHOTO VIA Danny McCarthy

Ellen came to Boston. The tweet read: “Who’s ready to win some World Series tickets? I’m talking to you, Boston. Marsh Plaza at BU. 5pm. Be there.”

False.

This statement should have read, “A representative of Ellen DeGeneres is holding a competition for, like, three people to win Red Sox tickets after standing in the cold for five hours.”

However, no one knew that originally.

At 3:30 p.m., I went with two friends to CVS to pick up green makeup and hairspray. Now, I was hoping that Ellen DeGeneres wasn’t super popular and no one would have read her Twitter challenge. That didn’t happen. The line for the cash register stretched back into the depths of the store.

Armed with a Halloween set of paint and blue and yellow spray paint, we literally sprinted back to the dorm, ripping through our rooms for anything green or Sox.

I wore a green t-shirt, green jeans (yeah, I own green jeans) and a fabulously assembled pair of red boxers on my head. After applying green eyeliner, I looked like a slightly more feminine version of Rosie the Riveter. Seriously.

However, even in my green glory, I was a candle to the flame that was my next-door neighbor, who only wore a pair of green boxers and green body paint. We all wandered down to Marsh Plaza, where, shockingly, we weren’t the most outrageously dressed. There were people head-to-toe in thick green body paint, a Gilly suit (respect, respect) and someone who was literally draped in towels.

I admit, I wanted the Red Sox tickets, but after an hour and a half of standing out in the cold and drizzle, I was ready to go home. I took my tight pants and my aching shoulders — we thought it would be a good idea for my friend to sit on my shoulders so that we got more attention. SPOILER ALERT: It sucked as an idea. Worst idea ever — back to Warren to take a warm shower of defeat.

In the end, I didn’t get to see Ellen and I didn’t win Red Sox tickets. But I got to dress like an idiot with my friends and walk up and down the streets of Boston like a gypsy. Because when will I next get to be in college and dress in green and go crazy?

Answer: St. Patrick’s Day.

May the Fashion be with You!

BONUS PADAWAN:

Are you completely lost as to what to wear for Halloween? Are you allergic to dairy? I can help you with one of those two things.

Let’s face it, college is expensive. And buying massive amounts of queso (I crave the cheese) probably doesn’t make my bank account any happier. So if you’re like me and can’t deal with shelling out some Benjamins or Andrews, here are some quick and easy Halloween costumes you can do:

1. Borrow a floor mate’s eyeliner and draw whiskers and a frown on your face. Smear the remaining eyeliner around your eyes. Pair with a white t-shirt and a pair of homemade cat ears that you cut from printer paper and you are…

GRUMPY CAT

2. Go through your closet and find a dress shirt and a pair of substantial boxers. Slap on some running sneakers and you are…

HALLOWALK OF SHAME

3. For this you need a buddy. Dress your friend in a white t-shirt and write across the front, “Mansion-Apartment-Shack-House”. Then, wear an oversized sports jersey and tighty-whiteys underneath. Stick your tongue out, and you and your friend are…

BANGERZ AND M-A-S-H

Seriously, you’re welcome.

May the Fashion Be With You.